In order to avoid possible confusion and misunderstanding, the eligibility for inclusion in this template is defined as follows:
- A European outlying territory is a territory which:
- has any political status other than independent, sovereign state;
- has a common sovereignty with some member state of the شورای اروپا;
- (a) the nearest independent country is not a member of the Council of Europe, or
- (b) the distance to the nearest European territory is more than شابلون:Convert/nmi
- is not an outlying territory of the Asian portions of Russia, Turkey etc.
- The distance in (a) is measured to the nearest other territory; the distance in (b) is twice the منطقه انحصاری اقتصادی limit under the کنوانسیون ملل متحد در مورد حقوق دریاها, ensuring that the respective jurisdictional waters are not contiguous.